Monday, May 27, 2013

Sacrifice

Z and Beppe (his great-grandmother)

"But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God." -Acts 20:24 NTL

    The past week was so great it was sad.

     My parent`s complex has a beautiful pool, which opened the week I was there.  Dad and I ran over there the day we arrived (just Z and I, Dave had to stay on Quadra and work), and discovered it was the loveliest salt-water pool I have ever been in.  I went swimming almost every day I was there, except the day my sister and I ran over there in the rain and it was closed.  Apparently someone thought that people shouldn`t swim in the rain at 9pm.  Crazy. 

   On one of the last evenings we were able to go early enough that Z came with us.  He really wanted to swim Gramps, so I handed him to my dad and they had a ball together (other than the "incident"... don`t worry, everyone lived through it... haha, Dad!).  I felt a little teary-eyed as I watched my dad play the same games with Z that he had played with me as a child.

     Z and I went to visit Dave`s family, and spent the afternoon playing at the park, clearing out the basement to make space for the stuff we`ll be leaving when we go to YWAM, and playing car with Auntie K.  Once again I felt a pang of sadness as I watched my son interact with his loving Aunt, thinking of all the fun they could have together if we lived nearer. 

     We visited both of my grandmothers.  One lives "on the way" to the mainland, and so we spent the night at her house before carrying on to my parent`s house.  We also took a trip across the border to visit my grandmother in the States.  She took us out for a nice lunch and to show us around her small town.  It was again a bittersweet feeling as we said goodbye.  I was so thankful to have been able to see her, but grieved at not living nearer so I could be more of a support to her.

    Z and I had so much fun with my family.  We swam, we watched Megamind, we ate gluten-free waffles, we "went" to the Mumford and Sons concert (it counts to watch it through the fence, right?), we had a lot of laughs, went for a skytrain adventure, and starting potty training!!! 

     My family is a wonderful family.  We are fun, and lively, and caring, and dedicated to one another, and humorous.  I once asked my mom if it`s hard for her that I have moved away, and taken her grandchild with me... what she said is both profound and deeply meaningful to me;

    "Yes, it is hard to be apart, but I always remind myself that I am privileged to have a child in the ministry.  I want you to follow Jesus more than I want to live near you," she said.  (Paraphrased, sorry Mom)

    Thank you, Mom (and Dad), for giving me the freedom to follow Christ wholeheartedly, as I believe we are doing.  As I pulled away from that curb yesterday morning, I could see the pain in your eyes, and I knew it was reflected in my own.  Living away from family is very difficult, but knowing that you support our ministry/life is the greatest encouragement to us.  You both build us up in our faith and in our desire to follow Christ.  This missionary life requires sacrifice from not only us, but you... thank you for putting us into the safe hands of Jesus and encouraging us to follow- regardless of the cost.

     I love you family... I love you so much it hurts my heart.  Thank you for being so wonderful.  



Note:  To all the family and friends we didn`t see, sorry we missed you.  Thank you to each of you for your love and support.  We are richly blessed by how many amazing people we have in our life.   

   
   
     
     

  
     

No comments: