Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Precious Gem Child

Z playing in his freshly organized play area
     Gliding through the water, I point to the seal that has popped his head out near our canoe.  Z doesn`t look in time, and the seal submerges under the deep green waters.  He is still concerned about the crab we saw crawling along the bottom while we were nearer to shore.
    "More crab, Mom?" he asks me.
    I tell him we can`t see the crabs because the water is too deep.
    We paddle along, stopping every once in a while so that our camp photographer, who is riding in the front of Z and I`s canoe, can take photos.  We are surrounded by about 10 ladies and their daughter in canoes, everyone laughing over the blond joke that Karyn just told (she is blond, so that makes it okay, right?)... and we are heading over
to see the ship-wrecked fishing boat on one of the islands near the camp.  My son leans back against me, from his little seat on the safety bucket.                           "Boats crash?" he says, obviously concerned. 

Z and his best buddy O

Sunday morning canoe trip
    I tell him that yes, the boats did crash, but then reassure him that our boat will not crash.  He immediately wants to know if the people are hurt.  At first I`m confused about what people he might be talking about, but then it dawns on me that he`s concerned about the people on the "crashed boats".  I assure him that no one was hurt on the boats, and he goes back to talking about the crab. 
Z and O playing in the "sandbox" (aka volleyball court)

    I am touched though, by the heart of my child.  He is such a kind boy, so concerned for the welfare of others.  I have always thought that he was a kind child, ever since he was little, but his character has been blossoming and becoming so beautiful these days.  He is such a sweet, funny, and caring little boy; he is my precious gem.

    I got that term from a book about birth order, and it refers to children who are the only child to parents who wanted more children.  For a long time I have loathed the term "only child".  Anytime someone calls him an only child I always want to scream, "he`s the oldest!  He just doesn`t have siblings yet!"... but most of the time I just smile and try to change the subject.  The fact that I can`t give Z a sibling is the greatest source of pain in my life, but this past week God has given me so much joy in my son, that my broken heart is soothed and comforted.

    Earlier this week we went for an overnight stay in Victoria, as Dave had some work to do there with the company that supplies our food.  The company put us up in a beautiful hotel, which even had a pool!  We had such a lovely time as a family, going to the petting zoo, meeting up with some friends for dinner, staying up late watching the food network, and going swimming.  We felt so bonded and happy to be spending time as a family in a completely relaxed environment.
   The next morning Dave went to his conference, and Z and I went swimming.  The sun shone through the windows over the pool, and as my son and I splashed around I felt an emotion that can only be described as bliss.  We were so happy together, and I felt overwhelmingly grateful to be his mommy.  He and I spent the whole day together, completely focused on enjoying each other`s company.

    Friday Z surprised us by telling both of us he loved us for the first time.  It was so special, and made me cry.  I have waited my entire life to hear the words, "I love you, Mommy."

    Yesterday Z and I had a fantastic morning going to the farmer`s market together.  We bought a cupcake and sat in the shade enjoying it together.  We spent the afternoon splashing around in our wading pool, with Z`s giggles making the sunshine even brighter.  Then, to top off a beautiful week, this morning we went on the canoe trip with the ladies and their daughters.

   At the beginning of this mother/daughter camp (that`s why we only had women on the canoe trip), I was feeling sorry for myself that I didn`t have a daughter.  But the more I thought about the wonderful week I`ve had with my son, I am grateful for what the Lord has given to me.  My son is kind, and silly, and super adorable... and he`s mine.  I prayed for three years, and the Lord brought him to me... maybe it`ll take three years of praying before the next one comes along... or maybe there will never be another one.  But I am so thankful that God saw my pain and gave me a precious gem.  I am so, so very thankful.

  

 

No comments: