Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hemp Hearts

Z and Mommy eating lunch
       Dave and I have a constant battle going on with our last ten or so pounds we`d like to lose.  We`ve been trying to lose those darn pounds since college, and they aint going nowhere... so I doubt that our most recent foray into healthy living will change anything... but here`s hoping. 

    When we got back from our holiday on the mainland we needed to go grocery shopping so we told ourselves that we were only allowed to buy "healthy food".  I know that concept looks different for everyone, but we ended up buying some fish, produce, soy milk (controversial, I know!!!), and some organic hemp hearts.  I know my mom is laughing right now, I mean, you know you`re a hippy when you`re eating stuff like HEMP HEARTS!  

    We don`t have to cook our own food on days when Dave is cooking for a group, so a couple days of the week we usually eat in the dining hall.  In the summer we eat almost all our meals in the dining hall, because there are always campers and staff who Dave has to feed.  Eating in the dining hall is fun and delicious, but hasn`t been great for our waistlines, because, let`s face it... Dave is a FANTASTIC chef!  (Would I like another helping of lasagna with extra cheesy and delicious sauce?  Why yes, I would.)

      This week though we were eating mostly at home all week, so I made healthy food for every meal.  We had green salad with salmon and brown rice, we had veggie wraps with sesame oil instead of mayo, we had brown rice pudding seasoned with cinnamon and honey (no sugar!), we had popcorn made with coconut oil (I read on the interweb that coconut oil is a super food... must be true since they wouldn`t post it otherwise, right?!).

    All was going well until I decided that a great idea for breakfasts would be to make homemade granola and have it on yogurt.  Brilliant.  I found a recipe (aka called Mom), and made some oat-coconut-peanut butter-bran granola.  It smelled great and I gave myself an air high-five for being so awesome at healthy living. 

    The next morning we each had a bowl of yogurt, topped with my granola, along with a couple teaspoons of flax seeds and a tablespoon of hemp hearts, then just for good measure, I sliced up bananas to put on the top.  I served it to my family proudly, patting myself on the back for being such a great wife and mom. 

    Dave ate it quietly.  But that goes without saying, since Dave does most things without saying much.  Z ate it willingly, which is pretty high praise from a two-year-old.  Then... I tried it. 

   Turns out there is such a thing as being "too healthy". 
   

1 comment:

Dawn C said...

Did you make the yogurt too? Not authentic if you didn't make it all from scratch.
Actually, the part I'm finding humorous is how this blog entry is followed directly by one about eating hot dogs. You guys are great at this healthy stuff.