Wednesday, May 31, 2017

He's in the Waiting

We are all waiting for something. 

For me, it’s the wait for a baby.  We have waited for years, and as much as we have healed from the original trauma of being diagnosed as infertile, it still hurts.  The longing doesn’t go away, and the grief stays with me.  Some, with only the best intentions to try to end my pain, have suggested that I stop waiting, stop wanting, stop praying for healing.

This week I waited for another woman’s baby.  As she battled through each of her difficult contractions and the hours began to pile up, the baby stayed hidden within.  Her husband and I supported her as she fought and breathed.  The midwife assured her that progress was happening, but it was not until the moment of birth that we had the proof.  It would have been easy to get discouraged, but instead my friend repeated, “I can do this.  I will see my baby today.” 

Watching her labour I rediscovered my own courage to fight for my children.  Though they are hidden from me, they are no less real.  I am battling for them in the spiritual realm.  My prayers are not unanswered.  Every one is heard and remembered.  My Heavenly Father holds my hands and looks lovingly into my face as I labour to bring them home.  He has not forgotten me.

Maybe you are like me, waiting for something that seems to be taking too long to come.  You’re weary from the battle.  You feel like you have prayed the same prayer over and over—without visible results.  The baby seems stuck and you are worried that you will be in labour forever. 

Take courage, my friend.  Your prayers are doing in the spiritual realm what we may only be able to see in the triumphant moment of birth. 


He’s in the waiting. 

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

Shawn, thank you for this sincere and encouraging post. I too continue to pray with great hope for healing for you and Dave and for the miracle of a baby for you. I'm excited for your current adventure of moving and working at the children's home. May God continue to give you hope and courage as you wait. I too love that song. It reminds me of truth as I wait to see the miracles a long for in my own life. With love, Lisa