Friday, January 30, 2015

Back to School

    School... It is the theme of my life right now, what with the literacy class starting up next week, starting preschool with Z (homeschooling for the win!  Haha), continuing with my Spanish-language studies,... I decided to throw another class in there and sign up for with an online school to become a Doula.  Also, Dave is one of the main leaders for the upcoming DIscipleship Training School (DTS) which starts in a couple weeks.  It sounds like a lot, but so far I am learning skills in boundary-setting and learning to say no to other things so that I can focus on the things in my life that are most important to me.  I guess that's just part of becoming an adult- realizing I can't do everything! 
   
 So, for those of you are wondering what a Doula is... It is a professional birthing assistant.  It's not a medical position, it's basically being the expectant mother's supporter and helper through the entire pregnancy, birth, and post-partum time of a woman's life.  In my classed I'm learning things like good communication and active listening skills, how to help a woman make informed choices that support her personal goals, how to help during birth, and also the business aspects of being a doula.  In North America doulas can charge anywhere from $200-$700 for doula services, but of course here I will not be using it as a big money-maker.  I want to use it as a ways to minister to women during this important time of a mother's life.  I had a doula for Z's birth, and she actively helped me to work for the birth experienced I desired.  I gave birth to my child feeling empowered as a good mother, and ready to care for my child and bond with him.  Teenage pregnancy is huge issue here in Guatemala, so I would like to use these skills to help young moms who don't have family support, and also to help missionary moms who are going through the childbirth process without the support of family close-by.

   Oh, and our good news, unrelated to schooling is that our final piece of paperwork for our temporary residency is on its way!!!  We will hopefully have our temporary residency before summer!  Please continue to praying for a smooth and speedy application process.  

Z and I have finished our first week of preschool!  So far so good!  

Z puts a sticker on the chart every day after he finishes his school.  

Classic homeschool schedule includes kitchen duty!  Haha... 

Dave's birthday was in mid January and Z's was at the end of the month.  Dave made himself a cheesecake for his birthday, and we went to the beach overnight to celebrate Z's birthday with swimming and staying up late to watch movies.

Me studying... I'm now studying Spanish and childbirth, so it's a lot of homework to fit into Z's nap time!  

No comments: