Monday, February 24, 2014

Quiet Insignificance

Eloisa and I during class
Z and I by the fountain in Antigua`s central park
One of many artisan markets
Z and Dad playing toys, wearing his Pollo Compero hat
Our friend Collene playing with Z after staying the night at our house
Classic Guatemalan transportation
The 3-times-a-week shuttle to the market that goes right by our house
The private hospital
    Our life has eased into a place of what could be perceived as quiet insignificance.  We aren`t the leaders of a multi-faceted ministry, we don`t speak in front of churches, we don`t send out glossy newsletters detailing all of the important work we do.  Really, we are very insignificant.  But we are following a God who does not see us that way.

     We have been living in our beautiful home for almost a month now.  We will start our fourth week of language school this week, and are learning quickly.  Language learning is always a long process, and can be a bit frustrating when all we want is to be understood and be able to launch into effective ministry... but right now, we are being faithful in the small things:  practicing flashcards, attending church in Spanish, doing our homework every evening.  In all, we are spending about 4 hours a day in focused language training.  Our tutor, Eloisa, has been a tremendous support and encouragement for me, as even on the days when I`m struggling she spurrs me on by reminding me of all that God is going to do through me and Dave here.  She believes in me, and my ability to learn this language, and that helps me to believe it too... even on the days when it feels near-impossible to speak a new language.

      A few times a week we take a bus into Antigua to go shopping at the market for fruits and vegetables, and stop at the grocery store (La Bodegona) for everything we either can`t find, or don`t like to buy in the market.  Then we load it all up into bags and boxes, and hail a Tuc-tuc, for a bumpy ride back to our house.  Living without a car has been a bit challenging at times, but we enjoy the chance to be part of normal Guatemalan life, and to be honest, I love chicken buses.  That still hasn`t lost it`s charm for me. 

       I have a close gringa friend, named Collene, and she and I have had a few coffee dates, and a couple sleepovers (we`re having one tonight after English church!).  She has been a huge support for me, but unfortunately (for me) she is done with her volunteering time her in Antigua at the end of the week then is off to continue her travelling adventures in Africa!  I am sad to see her go, but I know that God will, and already has begun to, provide new friends for me. 

      You may remember Dave talking about our friend Luis who needed surgery (in Dave`s guest post).  Well, that surgery happened this weekend, and was quite successful thus far.  Tests need to be done to decipher if there was cancer in the tumor, and make more decisions from there, but we are praying for a complete healing in Luis`body and that no further intervention will be necessary.  Dave spent some of the weekend at the hospital with Luis and his wife Ana, and was there this morning when Luis was discharged home.  As of a couple hours ago, Luis is home resting and was doing quite well.  Praise the Lord!

     The theme of our life seems to be willingness.  Our efforts seem so insignificant to me a lot of the time, but when I pray I hear God so clearly saying that we are in the right place.  That He has a plan.  That He is happy with our efforts.  It doesn`t always feel like much.  We try to talk to people whenever we go out.  We had our Guatemalan friends over for a movie night and had the chance to talk to them about what Jesus has done in our lives.  We`ve gotten the chance to walk with our friends Luis and Ana for his surgery and now in his recovery (and all because Dave was willing to carry their table home in a "chance" encounter with them).

    We don`t see the plan.  We don`t know what we`ll be doing in a month, or a year, or heck, even how this afternoon will pan out.  I guess that`s normal, but it feels like higher stakes when we`ve left our families, and culture, and now we`re staying in a new country without really much of a strategy for how to be "successful missionaries".  I don`t know what God has for us here, but I believe that we are where we`re supposed to be. 

I believe that God will use this time of quiet insignificance for His glory.  That this is a time of preparation for the work that He prepared in advance for us to do here.  We have joined the staff of YWAM Antigua, and although we will be focusing on language school for another few months, we will working part time on the existing ministries at the base, until God shows us His dream for our life here.  Our YWAM director is excited to support us and help us towards whatever God has for us.

    All this to say, our lives are quiet right now, but it`s not going to be like that for long.  Of that I am convinced.

Thanks for praying.  

No comments: